Victorian door lock replacement

Sponsored Links
it was also a 3-lever which is unsuitable for an entrance door.

I will have a look

it's a 3-inch

Can you photograph your door, the edge and the keyholes so I can see the lock through them. A door of that age may have had an earlier lock fitted so the may be a bit of extra space.

this one?

Resourse.aspx

The Union British Standard 2100 is a much better lock and fairly close in size

Resourse.aspx

The keyhole is a quarter-inch further from the edge of the door, but could be filed to fit (if not already a loose fit)

The front plate and the staple (keep) in the frame is bigger and will need to be let in with a chisel, but your old lock was very inferior in this respect so any modern lock will need that.

Sponsored Links
it was also a 3-lever which is unsuitable for an entrance door.

I will have a look

it's a 3-inch

Can you photograph your door, the edge and the keyholes so I can see the lock through them. A door of that age may have had an earlier lock fitted so the may be a bit of extra space.

Thanks. The lock is out or the door. Took ages as it was stuck in and no key to unlock it.

this one?

Resourse.aspx

Thanks, yes that is the exact dimensions of the current lock. I measured where the keyhole is etc and it's a match.

The old keyhole in the door looks pretty big so it may accomodate the 1/4" difference.

There is an old Chubb design, now sold under the Union name, that may be closer, but it is more than twice the price.

A 5-lever lock is usually thicker in the case than a 3-lever, but it looks to me like your mortice is already wide enough.

You will find the BS Union in DIY sheds and Screwfix, it is better than most mortice locks you will find. It has a 20mm bolt throw to meet the latest security standards. Ensure the lock you buy meets British Standard BS3621

At Screwfix the brass finish is a pound dearer than the stainless finish.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/union-5-...mortice-deadlock-68mm-case-45mm-backset/5055d

Last edited:
Thanks, yes that is the exact dimensions of the current lock. I measured where the keyhole is etc and it's a match.

sorry, that first one was the dimensions of your old lock, which is now discontinued. I put it up to check I was looking at the right one.

The red-cased modern Union is a close, but not identical, match, and much better.

If/when you have the new lock fitted, photograph the inside and outside holes in the door so I can see the keyhole, and I bet I can find you an escutcheon that wil cover it neatly and look good. The ones supplied with the new lock may not be enough.

Thanks so much for your help, massively appreciated.

I have ordered the brass finish from Screwfix and will collect tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back