Victorian roof space room + bubble wrap + foam insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I was just about to put the finishing touches to some loft insulation I'm putting in when it occurred to me that I don't want to go screwing things up.

Roof is an original Victorian terrace house, with a room built in (was built like this, not a conversion). Main bit of room is covered in plasterboard, and I know there is a small amount of normal loft insulation material there, im not removing the entire inner roof to fiddle with this :)

A small area out the back which acts as a storage space has zero insulation in it, and im sorting this out.

Typical rafters, with felt and slate above.

Now some years ago, on some bad advice, I tried putting polystyrene between the rafter joists, not knowing about ventilation requirements. Bottom of the rafters got filled with some expanding foam as the amount of air blowing in was vast as were the amount of birth feathers getting in.

All the polystyrene came out a week later when I noticed water dripping out from between joins in the foam.

Since then the roofing felt has had some bits of draft excluding foam (like you stick around the edge of a door) stuffed in some of the gaps where pieces overlap. Temperature in adjacent room went up 4 degrees after doing this :) There is still some airflow through these joins though.

Rafters are around 50mm deep - so there's my airflow gap I should have had :)

So I am putting up metallic covered bubble wrap stuff, with metal foil to fill in the gaps. (Equiv. of 50mm of polystyrene)

So I was wondering if I will be safe just covering the whole of the inside of the roof bit of this area as is, or if I need to think any more about ventilation, or make holes in the foam that's at the bottom of the rafters to the outside world, or something else.

Have enclosed some pics of what it looks like. Room next to this area = proper living space room - though rather cold right now :)

Cheers!

M.

Can see big roof beam going across here. I was also going to cover the gap between the board and this beam with some insulation too.

WP_20141215_001.jpg

Done so far + door into living area next to this space

WP_20141215_002.jpg

White patches aren't mould - just some white colouring on joists.

WP_20141215_003.jpg

Close up of foam filled bottom bits - I was going to bring the insulation down and over the white boarding for a bit extra + use up any spare overlap.

WP_20141215_004.jpg

Sponsored Links
Rules of thumb.

Non breathable materials on the warm side, breathable materials on the cold side.

Reflective materials need air space in front and behind to work, and they need to be properly taped and sealed to stop air convection bypassing the insulation. On the warm side this means they might act as a vapour barrier (some are perforated). The single thickness membranes might still be cold as they are very poor as insulates, so another vapour barrier may be needed behind the plasterboard to stop the risk of condensation on the bubble foil. Proper multi foil insulations have several perforated layers seperated by thin layers of insulation, so the risk of condensation is lower.

I wasn't going to board it over after, just leave it as is like that. So the warm space will just be nice shiny roof :) if that makes a difference

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back