Victorian Stone House, and damp problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This is my first post, so if you can, please bear with me.

We now own a stone Victorian house, circa 1865. We bought knowing there was a substantial amount of damp, but since we started looking at the problem, we've uncovered a whole host of additional issues.

For example, we lifted what was a shoddily laid wood floor from on top of the existing floor boards, and proceeded to fall through the boards because they were rotten. On lifting the floor boards, all the joists were rotten too.

So everything has been taken up and we're down to the bed rock (the joists were sitting on this).

In addition to the floor, the lime plaster was falling off the walls, and on inspection was sodden - so we've taken the walls back to the stone.

We've also pulled the ceiling down rather than have it fall down on top of us.

Basically we've now got a shell of a room.

We know that we need to solve any external causes, removing excess earth, new gutters, downpipes, etc, but internally what would be the best thing to do?

For the floor I was planning on laying a radon membrane, laying a new slab, then underfloor heating etc. Is this the correct route, and if not what are the better alternatives?

For the walls, I wasn't planning on replastering or rendering, but fitting an Oldroyd Xv membrane, a metal frame and then plasterboard. Again, would this work? Do I need to fit a drain? I have concerns about the "breathability", are these unfounded?

Can I put insulation between the membrane and the plasterboard? or should I use the plasterboard that has the insulation afixed to it?

Any help, advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back