Victorian walls - painting/plastering advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved in to a Victorian property. I've noticed that some of the walls are pitted rather than smooth and those that aren't seem to have a thin wallpaper underneath the paint.

Is this paper a common way of covering up pitted plaster? Would I be best to paint over it again or should i peel off the existing paper and put new paper one/have the walls skimmed (some of it is peeling at the corners)? Is it likely to take half the wall off if I do peel it off?

For skimming, roughly how much would I be paying someone ph in London?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably lining paper, its ok to paint over if its sound, lifting bits can be stuck back with border adhesive, however anything more than minimal lifting i'd have it off and re-do it but my personal preferance is to re-plaster when budget allows, a good plasterer would want £150 a day, maybe more in London

Sponsored Links
If it's an old house, it may still have the old Lime plaster in place. This is usually an inch or so thick, and whitish in colour. It is preferable not to skim over it with modern gypsum plaster, which is pink or grey.

If there are large cracked, loose or hollow-sounding patches, it may have to come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back