Villeroy & Boch Toilet Leaking from Cistern Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above close coupled toilet brand and it appears to be leaking (only when flushed) from the wing nuts bolts underneath which holds everything together.

See the photo below which shows the bolts from inside the tank.

I was wondering if it’s an easy job to drain the Cistern and replace the seals to stop it leaking.

I’ve never done anything like this before so any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely that the leak is from those bolts as water would constantly be leaking, not just when flushing.

More likely to be a perished donut washer.

Thanks for the reply.

I did think it was strange why it only leaked when flushed. Would replacing the donut washer be a fairly easy job?

I’m not sure how to disconnect everything inside.

Thanks

Bob

Turn off the water supply
Undo the tap connector (nut connecting supply pipe to the fill valve)
Flush the toilet
Remove as much water as possible from the cistern.
Undo the wing nuts connecting cistern to the pan
Undo screws fixing cistern to wall.

Cistern should now lift off and reveal donut washer. replace the washer then re-fit in reverse- ensuring that the fibre washer in the tap connector is ok or replaced. Do not cross-thread this nut when replacing and do not over tighten.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
You can get a close coupling kit including donut washer wingnuts and bolts from screwfix for about £3. You can gaurantee the old bolts will be rusty :(

You can gaurantee the old bolts will be rusty :(

Yes, did one the other day and the sods were rusted solid. Had to hacksaw them, with very tight access. Lots of swearing and blood spilt.

Went to lift off the cistern, only to find that the fecker who fitted it had stuck the back of it to the wall with most of a tube of silicone. :evil:

The joys of plumbing! :LOL:

Hope the op has more luck!

Thanks for all the answers.

Is it possible to remove the bolts from the bottom of the cistern otherwise I don’t think I can remove the cistern as the supply pipe is in the way. I need to remove it at an angle and I can’t do that with the bolts in place.

The wing nuts are off already.

Maybe use a rubber hammer and tap them out from underneath as they don’t seem to want to move although they are loose.

Let me know

Thanks

Bob

I now know It's not possible to knock them out due to there being a nut on the underside of the cistern!

I just bought a donut washer set and I noticed 2 small red washers, whereabouts do they go in the assembly?

Any help would be great before I fit.

Hi,

I too have a leaking V&B cistern. It is a dual flush model and i can't get the buttons off to take the top off.

Can anyone advise the trick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back