Vinyl Flooring - Wear Layer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to buy vinyl flooring for kitchen. Kitchen floor is all nice and level/smooth. I want to put down a vinyl that will hopefully last 7 years.

How do I know which is a good product to put down? Have been looking at Onlinecarpets. The backing of these vinyl's is foam.

Their cheaper vinyl is only 2.3mm thick and has a wear layer of 0.15mm.
Their quality level, thickness is 3.8mm and the wear layer is 0.2mm.
Luxury quality is different thickness with a wear layer of 0.25mm or 0.3mm

I am assuming that the wear layer is what I should be considering for durability? If so, is the 0.2mm wear layer decent enough for a kitchen and hoping to last for about 7 years?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I guess you are talking about cushioned sheet vinyl?
Stay away from the very cheap stuff, and go for a heavier more expensive type.
If you are intending to lay it then research how to do it.
Prep well, and have a helper. Consider how you would move large appliances across it?

Hi,
I guess you are talking about cushioned sheet vinyl?
Stay away from the very cheap stuff, and go for a heavier more expensive type.
If you are intending to lay it then research how to do it.
Prep well, and have a helper. Consider how you would move large appliances across it?

Yes, cushioned sheet vinyl. Ordering online but will use a professional fitter. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most sheet vinyl of a reasonable quality will far outlast 7 years if the subfloor prep is good and nothing sharp gets dragged over it. Actual foot abrasion most sheet vinyl is quite resiliant against.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back