virus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a virus or something on my old win98 pc which makes it hang at the win98 screen won't let me start in safe mode either. Is it possible to link it to my new pc with usb cable and use that to find and remove the virus.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Do you have data that you wish to recover from the win98 PC?

What makes you suspect a virus?

What are the specs of your new PC?

Let us know this and you will get more help.

Doc

SPROG said:
Is it possible to link it to my new pc with usb cable and use that to find and remove the virus.
No.

The only way to use a USB cable to remove a virus from a machine that won't boot is to take the disk out of the infected machine and put it in a caddy.

Actually YES you can.... but not via another computer, its possible to create a bootable Flash memory stick these days, and you can run AntiVirus software from that.

Sponsored Links
You can not be sure this is a virus, it could be a number of things.

I would fit your old hard drive into your new PC as a slave, and check it out that way. Once you have performed any virus/spyware checks on it, copy over to your master drive any data you wish to keep, then format your old hard drive and use it for storage.

If you can get to a DOS prompt in the infected machine, which you should be able to get to via a win98 boot disk, then I'd use DOS to copy anything you need to keep to an external source, (portable hard drive or something), then do a fresh win 98 install. If it hangs at the win 98 screen though, that sounds like a hardware problem to me, not a virus.

Back