Vokera compact 28, hot water runs hot cold hot cold etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have a 5 year old vokera compact, now for some time the hot water runs hot cold hot cold hot cold etc, any ideas what it could be? i have spoke to a couple of local plumbers and they dont seem interested in looking at it. anyone on here a plumber in the derby area? as i would like it serviced too. i have read on other forums that it could be a thermistor?? all help is greatly apreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is possible a faulty thermister but some areas of Derbyshire ( particularly Buxton! ) have very hard water and I would suspect its more likely to be lime scale deposits in the hot water section of the heat exchanger.

These can be acid cleaned but its messy and perhaps the plumbers you called already suspect that and dont want to get involved.

IF its scaling then either the HE can be replaced or cleaned but dont expect too much change from £300.

If its scaling then do you have a water conditioner on the mains water inlet pipe to the boiler?

The lime coats things left in the "petrifying wells" :- http://www.digicam69.co.uk/knaresboro11.jpg

Tony

the area is spondon. Dont think there is a conditioner on the feed pipe. to be honest, the bolier was fitted new shortly before we brought the house and its always had the prob and it was one of those jobs that kept getting left because the central heating wasnt affected, we have a electric shower so it heats its own water, and a dishwasher, so the only time the taps are run is for washing hands etc, however the bathroom is due a makeover soon and want to fit a decent shower and taps, but the boiler needs sorting to sustain a decent temp for the shower. you reckon it'd be worth changing the thermistor first seeing as they are found for under £20?

Sponsored Links
Its so cheap that it would be a quick try and might well be the cause of the problem if its always been like that.

Lime deposition is progressive over a long period but the symptoms get worse exponentially.

Its just possible that its dirt on the sensor tip.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back