Volkera combiboiler post-powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My four year old Volkera has been cutting out usually when I'm in the shower and/ or when the heating is on. It's been 'kettling' too apparantly. I'm in a hard water area of Kent. Bits have been replaced, flames adjsuted and , on the advice of several plumbers and some good folk from this site we had a powerflush last week.

Guess what? Yep, a week on we turned the heating and it cut out 10 minutes later. Simialr things are occurring with my neighbour's identical boiler also installed when the property was built.

What is going on?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an overheat cut out. You have presumably checked the obvious things like system pressure? Should be minimum of 1 bar. If much lower, top up to correct level via filling loop.

Otherwise you need to look at Instructions and see what diagnostic lights, etc. are showing on control panel. It would help if you could identify the boiler model too.

I would suggest there has been an installation problem.

Current Vokeras are reasonably (but not as good as earlier models) good. Slack installation practices are not good for any boiler, be it combi or any other type.

If you are in hard water area, then scale reducer should be fitted.

How did you power cleanse the system? What chemicals did you use? How long did you leave the chemicals in the system? Did you carry out a test for TDS? Have you checked water quality of drained water?

Do you have a benchmark logbook for the boiler? Was it filled in by the installer?

Many questions all lead to an install that should give trouble free operation.

Sponsored Links
The "domestic hot water" heat exchanger which gives you hot water has two sides, the boiler water side and the tap water side. The boiler water side may well not have been cleaned at all by the power flush, which focusses on the radiators.
The secondary (tap water) side will certanly not have been affected by the power flush!

One way to deal with it is to remove it and (replace or) clean it. The whole hot tap water route should really be descaled if yout water is very hard.

As DP has intimated, the chemical used for the PF, which will have "done" the boiler's main heat exchanger, is important. It takes strong stuff to do it properly. They can be cleaned in situ , or removed more or less easily depending on the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back