Voltage drop issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m working on a 1950s ex-council flat with ten year old storage heaters. The total load off-peak is 70amps. The flat is at the end of the street and I guess furthest from the substation.

The voltage is 235v but when the off-peak load switches on at midnight the voltage drops to 212v and causes lights to flicker and effects TV and upstairs suffers too. Any ideas? I have seen voltage optimization units that can be fitted?

The supply is also shared with upstairs (which does not have storage heaters). It is a cloth insulated concentric original cable, only looks 10mm, but I can’t see DNO upgrading for free!

Sponsored Links
The dno are obligated to maintain a certain voltage, can't remember what.

Yours sound low.

If it's dropping that low, then ring them up and report a fault. They'll come out and have a look for nothing, as it could be a fault on their network.

The worst that can happen is they do nothing, but in my experience they're usually pretty good and will hopefully do something about it.

Sponsored Links
optimizers whatever they're called

they clip the voltage
and also drop 'out of circuit' above a certain loading afaik

prob contact dno anyhow if you've established it's excessive VD on their side

optimizers whatever they're called

snake oil, trick, deception, dupe, fraud, gold brick, graft, mockery, swindle, con, flimflam, untruth, misrepresentation, spoof, nonsense, russ andrews,

Pick one or insert your own. They all work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back