Wall fixings for old building cavity walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to install this indoor clothesline. Using the fixings provided, after hanging some damp clothes it crashed to the floor and caused the damage to the wall as you can see in the attached photos.

The building is very old (1800's build) and the walls were plaster skimmed (and floated with hard wall in some areas) 2 and a half years ago.

Is anybody able to advise on the best type of fixings i can use to securely attach this clothesline, shelving, etc.?

Also, what's the best way to repair the damaged area?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

20180208_012621.jpg 20180208_012812.jpg 20180208_012817.jpg 20180208_012825.jpg 20180208_012830.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Out of curiosity, have you had an asbestos surface test done? I can't tell if that's masonry or what but you might want to try some decent hammer fix screws and plugs. Not short ones but 60-120mm long.

Depending on the hold it could be look at a larger 6-8mm diameter.

Looks to me like plasterboard with a layer of plaster. What's behind the board ?

Sponsored Links
You need a fixing than penetrated the solid structure by at least 50mm, supplied fixings tend to be cwap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back