wall light fitting - need fast drying filler to fill wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a wall skimmed and wanted to replace the wall light. The bracket for the light is only 6cm and because the light fitting is round, it has to sit over the existing hole.
There is enough plaster for the bracket to be fixed to, but from what i can see, there seems little solid plaster behind it (hope i'm explaining well enough).
I daren't drill the two holes because im sure i'll be drilling into pretty much nothing.
I need some kind of fast drying filler to 'pack' the hole and make the plaster solid.
Andy ideas out there please? I'm having a real bad day. Everything i touch seems to go wrong :(

In Hope
Andy

Sponsored Links
hi roughcaster
Thanks for replying. It's a brick interior wall.
Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Car body filler - got no water to blow up the electrics in it.

thanks joe-90 i never thought about that.
I could do with sometihng i can spray/inject in to the hole.
Don't suppose car body filler comes like that?

Andy

Good idea about the car filler for that hole Joe, as you say, their's no moisture risk to the electrics. I've seen you mention it before.

I think those wires sticking out of the connector block look a bit vunerable, especially the brown live that has a lot of bare wire showing!! I think that you might be best to put that pic up in the "electrics" forum and see what the sparky boys say. I have my own ideas about how to do it but I would ask a sparky first,,, ;)

Thanks roy c
Those photos were taken with a dead feed :)

Andy

have you thought about raising the light a couple of inches? this will give you more cable so you can loose the chocblock and also have a nice firm background you can patch the old hole after

Hi stevethespreader
Yes, i'm thinking that might be the best solution.
I'll still need to fill the deep hole with something and also try to get a real smooth, flat finish, as the rest of the wall is very smooth.
Plus, the new light is a down lighter and will show up the slightest imperfection.

Andy

there is a multitude of things you can fill it with bonding , multi, 1 coat ect, followed by easifill or joint cement its a simple job andy i wouldent worry to much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back