Wall-mounted system boiler with flexible flue option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm researching options for a new boiler and the plan is to get a wall-mounted system boiler installed in the airing cupboard (which is in the bathroom).
However, the cupboard isn't on an external wall. It is adjacent to a disused chimney though.

I'd like to get the flue run up inside the chimney as this will be the most convenient and visually attractive option.

I'm aware of the need for inspection chambers within 1.5M of every concealed joint and we would have no problem achieving this.

My question is are there manufacturers other than Viessmann who supply kits for this type of install?

I have seen that Worcester Bosch do flexible flue options, but only for their floor standing boilers which isn't an option in the airing cupboard as the cylinder will occupy the floor space.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Atag (the old one) 01243 815770 - A325ec is the dog's danglies.
Intergas - with the right installer - HRE Eco RF size of your choosing.

Both far better than Wooshitter anyway.

Viessmann - only if going with the 200 series IMHO with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks Dan. I was looking at the 19kW 200-W as it happens, but it's good to hear there are other options.

Down side is that they're slightly more 'niche' and we're potentially going to be lumbered with the plumber the builder chooses...

Personally I prefer the new 100 series to the 200 series, which we haven't found to be particularly reliable.

What you are trying to do will be difficult for all manner of reasons. Firstly, it is unusual to be able to fit any fair sized boiler above a cylinder in an airing cupboard and maintain the necessary maintenance clearances. Secondly, the access inspection for the flue where is elbows into the wall will be really high up even if you got the boiler to fit, and this needs to be got at every year.

I suspect you will find a separate concentric flue will be easier through a separate roof opening, and yes, the Worcester offering is only type approved with their FS range, not the wall mounted models.

The ATAG boiler is pretty large too, so I think you'll struggle getting that in the space with the flexi flue catered for.

If Dan reckons an Intergas is a good bet, you could look at that. We don't have any plans to start fitting Intergas so I have no experience with them.

Sponsored Links
Very few heating techs have experience lining condensing boiler flues so if the builder is supplying the solution, best of luck with that. Builders usually have a problem doing anything correctly when it comes to boilers.

Thanks Simon. That's my concern.
I'm contemplating getting it done beforehand, separately.

I take your points on board. This will be slightly easier as the airing cupboard is going to be designed around the boiler and the cylinder first rather than as a storage space. The current cupboard will need to go and the replacement made slightly bigger to accommodate everything.

The room above the bathroom is due to be converted, so a regular concentric flue going straight up will be problematic, otherwise that would have been my choice.

It does make the access hatches slightly easier as there could be two; one near the floor and one near the ceiling which would give access to both concealed joints.
Both would be in a proper habitable room, making access slightly less difficult.

Flexi liners do not come under the TB008 rules.

I would speak to Intergas directly first (say I sent you ;) ) but the 24 and 18kW boilers are pretty small and we fit them regularly above cylinders in airing cupboards.

I tried to get a flexi flue for a Wooshitter a few years ago and ran into the same problem. The tech guy couldn't understand why I was so incredulous at the stupidity of the restriction. Guess I'm used to working with companies that allow the engineer to use their brain for more than tying shoelaces :LOL:

Hey ho - that is an industry problem more than WB's. Vaillant were exactly the same.

My understanding is they do if the liner incorporates an air return path; which these solutions all do. So the connections between rigid and flexy have to be annually inspectable if they are demountable eg: not welded.

It might only be the bottom connection. TBH it has been a couple of years since i've had to do one as Atag flue options are so flexible (pardon the pun) that we've managed cheaper alternatives.

And I've only ever done them with separate air intakes through the room; so a B23 flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back