Wall Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Newbie DIY and trying to keep busy during lockdown.

I am looking to refresh the paint on the wall and believe that the wall have some paper on the wall which have been painting on – maybe just some special paper as when you drill, it get very dusty / powder when I put on the wall picture frame in the past. Is that dry wall am I correct?

So when looking to refresh the paint – am I safe to paint over the existing paint?

What should I do with the bump – can I sand them and add some filler?

And what about when the paper between two sheet have started to undo itself? Can I just put some wallpaper glue to fix that?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• 20200614_145031_resized.jpg
    20200614_145031_resized.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 20200614_145049_resized.jpg
    20200614_145049_resized.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 223
  • 20200614_145053_resized.jpg
    20200614_145053_resized.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 20200614_145127_resized.jpg
    20200614_145127_resized.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200614_145201_resized.jpg
    20200614_145201_resized.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200614_145236_resized.jpg
    20200614_145236_resized.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
It looks like lining paper.

Lining paper is used to hide dodgy walls and give you a nice smooth wall to paint on.

However in your case it has not been done well at all and you can still see the dodgy wall underneath and it looks like the paint has been applied far too thickly

I would recommend you strip it off and start again however if you don't fancy doing that , you can sand lining paper and powder filler can be used to fill in any holes and sanded back flush.

You are safe to paint over existing paint just give the walls a wash so the paint sticks and apply at least two coats , make sure your edges are neat and if you accidentally get paint where you don't want it wipe it off straightaway

Keeping things neat means you get a more professional finish rather than looking like you have just slapped it on without a care in the world

thanks for the reply.

I am worry to remove the lining paper as i am unsure of the wall condition. i would not want to have to get the full Flat re plaster in the worse case scenario. (as a head up, when I have put pics on the wall and drill the wall, it was very sandy)

With Sanding the lining paper, would you recommend electric sander to get the job done quicker? or would you sand it by hand?

Yes definitely want a nice finish so will take the time to do it nicely :)

Sand by hand is best a power sander could chew holes in the paper if you are not careful

Use powder filler like toupret and you will find it easy to sand

Sponsored Links
Great thanks so much for input - really useful. thanks for the recommendation for the filler - Will get that one - pretty decent review too.

Sanding wise - any specific grade paper I should be using when sanding - there is so many option in the shop and online and bit confused.

I use 80 grit to start with then move on to 120 to get a smooth finish , you will get away with just using 120

Buy a quality sandpaper too like Norton , makes the job far easier

Toolstation has all this in stock if I remember correctly

Sand by hand is best a power sander could chew holes in the paper if you are not careful

Use powder filler like toupret and you will find it easy to sand

I wouldn't want to try sanding lining paper with a cheap sander but with a decent random orbital sand connected to a dust extractor you can get much better results than with hand sanding. Being wood pulp fibres, lining paper clogs sand paper quite quickly, resulting in the clogs ripping the surface of the paper, a RO with a dust extractor doesn't have that problem.

Based on my experience, if I used powdered fillers over lining paper I would seal them with shellac first before applying the emulsion (ie I would seal the paper, not the filler). I have often seen the water in the emulsion cause the lining paper to lift slightly and then blow the filler. I have also seen the water in the filler lift the paper and blow the filler.

When applying new lining paper and discovering that there is tiny gap in some of the drops (it does happen from time to time), I opt for Toupret Redlite and then sand it back with 180 silicone carbide. The RedLite is more expensive but it has a lower water content and the dust is not going to stick to everything (my biggest pet hate with regards to powdered based fillers).

Thanks Opps for you feedback - so useful - couple of question from what you feedback if i may please.

I wouldn't want to try sanding lining paper with a cheap sander but with a decent random orbital sand connected to a dust extractor you can get much better results than with hand sanding. Being wood pulp fibres, lining paper clogs sand paper quite quickly, resulting in the clogs ripping the surface of the paper, a RO with a dust extractor doesn't have that problem.

Let me hunt down if I know someone who have one! I guess it will make the job much quicker too! :)

Based on my experience, if I used powdered fillers over lining paper I would seal them with shellac first before applying the emulsion (ie I would seal the paper, not the filler). I have often seen the water in the emulsion cause the lining paper to lift slightly and then blow the filler. I have also seen the water in the filler lift the paper and blow the filler.

by Shellac, is that like a primer? which would hide the stain and make the wall uniform? Any specific recommendations as when I google it, i am not sure of what i found.

Toupret Redlite

Do you mean something like this that is from a tub?
https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/NC924110N

rather than the one that you have to prep yourself out?
https://www.toolstation.com/toupret-interior-filler/p63284

Shellac paints contain shellac suspended in alcohol. They dry extremely quickly. You could fill over them after about 25 minutes. Oil based undercoat would be a cheaper option but you would have to wait until the next day before filling.

The two most widely available shellac paints are Zinsser BIN and Smith & Rodgers Blockaid. Note that the best way to clean the brushes is with household amonia. Smelly but effective.

Toupret RedLite is one of the lightweight fillers. When you first lift the tub you will think it is almost empty. There are a number of these newer generation fillers. I prefer Toupret Redlite and Red Devil OneTime- the others that I have tried over the years seem to overheat when using power sanders and dust clumps, thereby ripping the surface of the filler.

https://paintersworld.co.uk/toupret-redlite-lightweight-filler

One caveat is that when they say you can paint over it after 30 mins, that is only true if it is extraordinarily thin. Unlike the powder fillers, it doesn't change colour as it dries and it dries by evaporation. Powder fillers cure chemically and don't actually require air to go hard (although air does speed up the process).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back