wall paper not stciking to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys.....i live in an end terrace house, im decorating a room downstairs..one of the walls is gable end wall...im having problems keeping the wallpaper to stick to the wll, the other three walls are fine.....there is no damp or any rising damp....this room use to be a kitchen, so the walls were all painted with kitchen paint...i brushed the wall with pva glue prior to hanging the wallpaper, but this one side just does not stick to the wall, especially the edges and the joints....ive tried light. medium and heavy wall paper, but still the same whats going on...i have even tried different pastes and thickness of paste, still no good, help please....

Sponsored Links
kitchen

did you scrub the grease off the walls with sugar soap?

Its theres kitchen and bathroom paint on the wall then the paper wont stick to it...in effect your trying to stick wallpaper to something lie glass...the surface isnt permiableand its very smooth...the paste cant get a 'grip' on it to form a bond.

The other reason is probably because its an exterior wall and cold..if paste takes too long to dry it will crystalise and more or less go back to its powder form.

I think its a combination of the two situations.

You need to rub the wall down really well then give it a coat of alkali resisting primer...then id line it using a ready mixed paste...then paper it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back