Papering over new plaster - paper peeling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently plastered the walls in a room (not a brilliant job but good enough to be lined and then painted). I waited a couple of weeks then sized the walls and allowed to dry. Whilst I was hanging lining paper it didnt seem to be adhering well so I pasted wallpaper adhsive onto the walls and the paper.
However, the paper is all peeling off (the paper where I pasted the walls as well as the paper isnt peeling but I dont think it has dried out fully yet - it was done yesterday).

I have put lining paper over fresh plaster in the past without problems in another room and the paper is still stuck fast (even though it was also painted afterwards).
I dont remember sizing the previous room, I have a feeling I might have used a pva solution - does this sound right?
I wonder whether I should use watered down paint to seal the plaster before then wallpapering?
I would appreciate any help - this is turning into a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
I wonder whether I should use watered down paint to seal the plaster before then wallpapering?
I would appreciate any help - this is turning into a nightmare.

Absolutely spot-on. The plaster is sucking the water out of the paste.

Thanks Joe.
Can I just paint directly onto the plaster / glue residue now or have I created more problems with the wallpaper adhesive being on there?

Wallpaper paste and paint don't get on very well together, so remove as much paste as you can then a couple of quick 'mist' coats of paint watered down by 25%. The wall must be dry when you paint though.

Sponsored Links
Michelle

Did you or did you not apply PVA as a sealer coat over the skim.

Dec

I didnt apply PVA over the skim. I applied a size mix and then the wallpaper which is falling off after 24 hours. I did PVA the walls before plastering - the plaster seems sound so I dont want to do anything to ruin the plaster.

Should I apply PVA or diluted matt emulsion? Not sure what to do.

When you say a size mix do you mean just a thinned wallpaper paste?

Dec

If that is the case then you really should not have encountered any problems, are you applying enough paste to the paper and are you allowing it soak before hanging.

Dec

I started off using what I thought was an average amount but seemed to bubble. So I ended up putting lashes of the stuff on the paper and some on the wall but it has peeled off too. The paper is lining paper 1700 grade. I soaked it for a good 10 minutes, as it said on the label - there was one sheet which I didnt soak long enough and it wouldnt adhere - so I put more past on and left it longer and it appeared to adhere but like the other pieces it too is peeling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back