Wall Pipe/Baton Detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 60 years of DIYing, and getting away with the inevitable 'Cartoon' disaster of drilling into a water pipe, whilst preparing to mount a shelf unit, it happened. NO excuses on my behalf just an admission of riding my luck for a few more times. Recovered from the disaster and all is back up and running.
Now the reason for the posting. I have previously used one of those detector devices for location batons, pipes etc, but my experience of their operation is that they tend to be unreliable and rather hit and miss. Has anyone got any suggestions for a reasonably priced, accurate and reliable locating device. Clearly my 'luck' has come to an abrupt end.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone got any suggestions for a reasonably priced, accurate and reliable locating device.

No. Tried quite a few over the years (including a super duper Bosch trade model at c.£500). Returned every last one of them. They don't seem to work with plastic pipes, they struggle in lath and plaster walls, they don't work well in lime plaster walls (plaster can be treally thick, 2in is not unknown), metal lath plays havoc with them, too.

No. Tried quite a few over the years (including a super duper Bosch trade model at c.£500). Returned every last one of them. They don't seem to work with plastic pipes, they struggle in lath and plaster walls, they don't work well in lime plaster walls (plaster can be treally thick, 2in is not unknown), metal lath plays havoc with them, too.
Thanks for your very helpful and confirmative reply. I have tried a couple of the cheap devices and found them both unreliable and not repeatable. I thought maybe it was I was very much at the cheap end of the market, but I am just a DIYer and didn't want to invest in an expensive device. Your experience of even the very expensive devices suffering the same unreliability rather confirms my scepticism. I guess my next drilling into either a pipe or electric cable is just a matter of time. I aways follow the expectation of finding pipes and wiring in the corners of walls but that does not always work. The last time it happened was a nightmare for access to repair the damage.
Thanks for your reply. it is very much appreciated, and saved me a fortune.

If you do feel the urge - buy from Screwfix or Toolstation - at least with them if you try it and it doesn't work, you can get your money back (at least for 30 days after purchase)

Sponsored Links
Drilling one hole is not bad. I remember late one night being called out to a leak. The houseowner had decided that his upstairs floorboards were a bit loose so had nailed and screwed them down. He had managed to put 23 holes in the central heating pipes. I still don't understand why he did not stop after the first one. Working on an emergency callout at 11 at night I was not unhappy when I presented my bill.

Drilling one hole is not bad. I remember late one night being called out to a leak. The houseowner had decided that his upstairs floorboards were a bit loose so had nailed and screwed them down. He had managed to put 23 holes in the central heating pipes. I still don't understand why he did not stop after the first one. Working on an emergency callout at 11 at night I was not unhappy when I presented my bill.
I looked at how I could make an easy fix as access was very awkward. I thought a way of repairing a 2mm hole in a copper pipe would be to screw a 'special Copper Solder plated Screw' into the hole and seal with a blow torch an solder but of course such a repair screw is not available. Another thought I had was that there must be a split ferrule available that could be put around the pipe at the hole location (similar to a 22 mm straight through connector) then solder it in place. I even thought it may be a solution to split a straight through connector and solder it around the Pipe at the Hole location as both access and the fact that both ends of the pipe where fixed and I could not get movement to insert a straight thorough connector. In the end I did get a connector fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back