Wall preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls in one of the rooms I have inherited, has been painted with emulsion and then 'sponged' with a metallic paint, straight onto bare plaster. There has obviously been some sort of reaction as the paint has blistered and is peeling off in many areas. I have scraped all loose paint and lightly sanded over before wiping down and now want to paint over in another emulsion. My question is, Should I apply a 50/50 emulsion/water coat first and then carry on as normal? Or should I use some sort of stabilizing solution, given that the wall has obviously had a past problem?
Grateful for any advice

Sponsored Links
Personally I prefer 1:5 PVA water, I personally think it seals it better and is easier to apply. Just one thing to ensure, that the metallic paint isn't proud of the wall surface, otherwise you'll be sealing imperfections in which will show up on the final paint job.

Thanks for the advice Eddie, will try that! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back