wall tiling kitchen splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to tile my kitchen splashbacks and have two questions:
Firstly some of the walls were reskimmed but where old tiles were removed along the existing splashbacks the plasterer didnt finish the wall to a smooth pink finish as I just needed a flat surface to tile over. This was left with a rough grey finish - he did mention something about using PVA prior to tiling but cant remember exactly what he said - any ideas?
Secondly I have five tile types that need to go up in a random way. Is there a good way of ensuring that I get the same proportion of tile types in each section. My fear is having too many of one style on one side and not enough on the other.
Thanks for any help you might be able to offer

Sponsored Links
firstly mix some pva glue in a bucket of water.. 20/80 a weak mix and brush it on the area... this is to help with a porous surface which I imagine you have.
secondly, make piles of 25 tiles and cover an area... this will make sure that you don't have too many tiles of one colour in any area!

garyslater

NEVER use builders pva with tiling mudmix/adhesive as it doesnt bond to the substrate an tiles are stuck to the thin pva mix ...

check your adhesive mix ,
with bal its Bal APD ....
hope this helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back