Wall, window or radiator??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a damp looking mark on my bedroom wall under the window, above a radiator, please see picture attached.

Is this likely a problem with the window, the radiator or the wall?? (It's an old house with no cavity if that makes a difference)

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

//www.diynot.com/network/MummyBear/albums/

Sponsored Links
Could be either the window or the wall - definitely not the rad. Pictures of the outside will tell us more.

Thanks kbdiy.
I'll take a pic of the outside. It might not be that helpful though as it's second floor and the wall is covered in pebble dash....

If you can zoom in on the affected area and still get reasonable quality it might reveal the problem.

Sponsored Links
Probably condensation from windows or moisture retained by faulty render or rain ingress due to poor window fitment.

Hi All

I've added a picture of the outside. It is in the same album as the original pic (see link above).

I can't see anything odd but I'm no expert.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ps: the mark is under the middle of the window.
Pps: I have somehow added the photo upside down....

Get yourself a cheap moisture meter and test the area under the window, that will tell you if it is damp is the problem, that would be start instead of trying to guess.
When were the windows fitted, it may be just a hairline crack due to removal of old window frames or heating from the radiator
Cheap moisture Meter Amazon . about £ 8. 99
41pkJ726hVL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

Get yourself a cheap moisture meter and test the area under the window, that will tell you if it is damp is the problem, that would be start instead of trying to guess.
When were the windows fitted, it may be just a hairline crack due to removal of old window frames or heating from the radiator
Meter won't tell you anything new , it detects moisture, cannot detected penetrating damp.

Looks like water getting in below the window sill, as these are PVC by the looks of, would suggest there are replacements and the sealing under the external sill not very good. To get a good view of the area, try taking pictures (use care leaning out) or a mirror to see what's what...pinenot :)

Meter won't tell you anything new , it detects moisture, cannot detected penetrating damp.

At the moment the Poster hasnt ascertained anything other than there is a crack, which may have been caused by the heat from the radiator, damage from window installation, settlement etc
at least a meter would tell if the interior plaster is damp, and how far it has spread.
As Pinenot suggested it may be the sealing of the exterior window frame, so a bead of good quality exterior silicon around the frame including underneath the sill would not go amiss either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back