Wallpapering new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bedroom that has been plastered 3 days ago it was just a skim coat onto new plasterboard & old plastered walls, it all looks completely dry now (a light salmon pink colour)
When is it safe to wallpaper it with blown vinyl wallpaper (I'm hoping to wallpaper & paint it later this week)
All the research I've done mentions weeks or even months for plaster to dry, but is that for when you use the thick bonding coats.

Any help & advise would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Also we have the old woodwork which has been stained & varnished with antique pine oil based varnish
We are now wanting to paint them white with oil based gloss, is there any special preparation we need to do apart from a light rub down with sandpaper before we put a undercoat on?

If its only skim onto plaster board then about a week will do fine. Give the wall a coat of paste prior to hanging any paper.
As regards the wood work, a good flat off and two under coats followed by a coat of gloss.

Thanks Robbie,
Two undercoats & one gloss?
I have been painting the new woodwork with knotting 1 primmer, 1 undercoat then 2 gloss.
Am I doing it wrong?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that- in general one gloss is normally recommended because gloss over gloss has a greater chance of running/slipping than gloss over undercoat

Yoy did mention that the woodwork was stained and varnished, if so then knotting wont do any good as it can only be used on new / raw timber. after a good rub down, two undercoats and then one gloss would be fine. A gentle sand down between undercoats would help.

I've just been using the knotting & Primer on new bare timber, I haven't started on the old varnished stuff yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back