Warm Deck Dormer Roof - Is this correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First of all this forum is very useful, I've learnt many things off it and would like to say thanks!

Got a question regarding the design and construction of a warm deck flat dormer roof.

We had a loft extension, was supposed to be top spec, but the company has been utterly rubbish every step of the way in short! They didn't put insulation in the floors, they got the measurements completely wrong, velux windows weren't installed properly and we still have water leaks 9 months on! I've managed to get them to fix almost everything now, and we're just short of taking them to court.

But I notice that the room is incredibly cold during this last few weeks, despite the 'top spec' insulation.

As the standard of work has been so poor, I wouldn't be surprised if they've missed lots out, as they have done in other areas.

I have found that at the front of the dormer, facing away from the house, their is only a thin plastic facia covering the front (see pic with arrows), no sub fascia or anything. So as you can see from the photos I took from poking my phone through the recessed lighting holes, daylight is coming through thin fascia and into the gap between the joists. The fascia is quite loose so there is plenty (too much) ventilation!

In the one photo with the hose, that is the bathroom vent going straight out from the bathroom through the fascia, there is nothing else there at all! In the other photos it appears just the joist blocking is slightly in front of the fascia.

So any heat which goes up into the gap between the roof joists, is swiftly flushed out the front via the gappy fascia and the fact that it is incredibly thin, almost making the insulation above it useless!

Can anyone please tell me if this design is correct and normal? Or should there be some sub fascia or other bit there behind the fascia to stop so much heat escaping?

Many thanks for any help!

Andy

2akbdi0.jpg

dfugjo.jpg

w4cia.jpg

mt4euv.jpg

oqlgk8.jpg

Sponsored Links
The roof and wall insulation should meet up.

Take the fascia off and put insulation behind it.

Thank you Alastair for your reply.

Yes I have got a similar response elsewhere, as in the insulation of the wall should meet the insulation of the roof. This seems not to be the case!

As it was building contractors who did this I will happily ask them why this didn't happen, its obviously causing so much heat loss.

As you can see from the photos below, I stuck a stiff wire up under the fascia and it goes straight through to be seen from the roof void.

Can you please confirm if this isn't supposed to happen! It's quite clear there's a huge gap which air simply goes through!

ip15j5.jpg

2mzm6qh.jpg

35bdwxz.jpg

It would appear from your photo's that there is no insulation behind the fascia so it will be cold.

Sponsored Links
No there shouldnt be a gap between the fascia and face of the dormer, there should be a strip of soffit plate fitted to fill the space.

As i said, remove the fascia/gutters, pack with insulation refit board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back