Warmflow dual-stat problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

First post so be gentle.

I have a Warmflow 70/90 Whitebird oil boiler. Over the last few weeks it has been temperamental on both CH and HW. Yesterday morning it was dead. After a bit of poking about yesterday I discovered the dual stat (part no WDS3) had tripped, reset it and everything worked fine (240V in and out) and boiler fired up. However the stat is now tripping out after it has been running for a while so suspect it may be on the way out. Date of boiler is 2004 so perhaps not a major surprise. Is this a safe assumption?

One question though, why a dual stat? Is one probe for the adjustable dial setting and one a fixed setting in case the other fails? I assume it is to protect the boiler itself from overheating.

Lastly, on fire up there is a noticeable 'clank' from the top of the boiler. Have had a quick look but nothing obvious is loose - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Check the Water circ pump is operating correctly, also check water level/pressure in primary system

otherwise new Dual Stat required.

Clanking noise on fire up is one of the baffle plates lifting on fire up, when was the boiler last serviced? as a clean out and proffessional setting up normally clears this problem ;)

Check the Water circ pump is operating correctly, also check water level/pressure in primary system

otherwise new Dual Stat required.

Clanking noise on fire up is one of the baffle plates lifting on fire up, when was the boiler last serviced? as a clean out and proffessional setting up normally clears this problem ;)

Water pressure was low (checked this yesterday) and had to top it up, but still no joy. Will monitor for a day or two but a new stat is more than likely the way to go.

How easy are the baffle plates to access? I don't mind a bit of dismantling to get at them. Boiler was serviced about 6 months ago apparently (we are new to the house), obviously not properly :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back