Warranty on Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a first floor and roof extension above a garage done. The whole of the roof was rebuild and newly tiled. The roofers were subcontracted by the builder and worked around frosty January 2013 and it was a stop - start business and seemed to take forever - the roofer was off with tooth ache and had a series of dentist appointments. Our builder was more concerned than we were - first big building project.
When they finished eventually the mortar on hips, valleys and ridges was pointed smoothly and only had different colours. The mortar started to crumble away in the first summer and the builder agreed to pay for another set of roofers to redo the mortared parts except for one gable ridge. At the time he said it still looked fine but we said it was the same work and is bound to crumble.
The winter 13/14 did not have any / many frost days around here. I am a motorbiker and the bike was out all winter. This winter is different! Lots of frost and the remaining ridge is going but the builder said he cannot keep paying for problems on our roof.
I pointed out that he did not want to fix the one remaining ridge and we felt we could not force him to do so, but now the poor work is becoming evident.
How long would we / should we get warranty on the work?
We are happy with the rest of the work and we did get on very well with the builder.

Sponsored Links
Did you agree a warranty period? i.e. Do you have a written contract? or did you accept a quote with terms on the back? If so then what does it say.

If not then the sale of goods and services acts apply and you should go and talk to CAB or get a free half hour with a solicitor so you understand your position and can approach the builder accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

We had a quote and receipts for every work done. The quote does not specify a time period for which we would call the builder back.
We did discuss the case of problems after completing the build and I am sure I can remember that he said 5 years.

Jeds is the 6 year period you mentioned a statutory agreement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back