Was this system ever installed correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I've sorted out a problem with the 3-way valve, but now the system gurgles and splutters, probably drawing air down the vent, unless I turn the pump right down. Then the recently added furthest radiator doesn't get hot.

Most of the system is piped up in imperial copper, so it's all getting a bit long in the tooth. The relatively new pump and 3-way are fitted on 22mm reducers, and it looks like the 3-way valve is a relatively new addition.

There are lockshield valves fitted on both the cylinder and heating flows and returns. I imagine they regulated the flows before the 3-way was fitted.

When I traced all of the pipework, the expansion tank appears to be connected to the boiler return, and the vent to the boiler flow.

Most of the system was probably installed before Pontius learned to fly, but all the newer parts are labelled 'Grittish Bass' or something.

Given the age of the system, could this ever have been installed correctly?

Should I re-arrange the cold feed and vent?

Should they be on the flow or the return?

Are all the lockshields now redundant?

Funny thing is, it all seemed to run nice and quietly until I fixed the 3-way valve :confused:

Sponsored Links
Looks like its been converted from gravity HW to fully pumped at some point. What did you do to the valve when you "fixed" it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back