Washing lines (pole to pole) with pulleys?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to get a washing line set-up in our back garden.
We live in a valley so our garden is quite elevated from the house - as such there's not really a tether point on the house suited to attaching a line.

The previous owners appear to have had two scaffold-pole like tubed concreted in and a line between them. Sadly these have rusted so badly they're in pieces above ground level.

I had a hunt around online but am struggling to find a similar replacement with much change from £200. Can anyone suggest where I should be looking?
Ideally looking for some sort of pulley system so the line can be lowered to load then lifted - extra points of any systems allow for two lines at different heights...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Do you understand the principle of how they work?

You'll need to source two scaffold poles, easier said than done considering they're pretty long. Marketplace or ebay are sources, or when you next see some scaffolding going up nearby ask one of the blokes if he can sell you a couple of poles for a tenner or something and drop them off to you. Then you can source the individual parts, pulley's, cleats, washing line etc off ebay or wherever is cheapest.

These boat cleats are self locking, just pull line down thru them, let go and they lock the line in position.
1683310168698.png

Do you understand the principle of how they work?

You'll need to source two scaffold poles, easier said than done considering they're pretty long. Marketplace or ebay are sources, or when you next see some scaffolding going up nearby ask one of the blokes if he can sell you a couple of poles for a tenner or something and drop them off to you. Then you can source the individual parts, pulley's, cleats, washing line etc off ebay or wherever is cheapest.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I think I understand the principle - essentially a pulley at each post with a hook to tie on - loosen to lower the line, pull to height then tie in place?

I've asked on the local community Facebook group to see if any scaffolders are around - I did try asking the guys who put our solar panels up but the scaffolding for them was company owned and barcoded (I assume they kept "losing" them to someone's washing line...).

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Sponsored Links
These boat cleats are self locking, just pull line down thru them, let go and they lock the line in position.
Oh, interesting! Thanks.
I imagine if they're for sailing they can handle the weight of wet laundry without any issues at all.

A local hardware store may be able to supply you with the pulleys etc. that you need.

Have a look on Marketplace as mentioned, when I click on there, there are lots of people selling scaffolding.

Oh, interesting! Thanks.
I imagine if they're for sailing they can handle the weight of wet laundry without any issues at all.
Yes have use them to hold 120kg , they hold more than any clothes line can take.Boats pulleys also very strong for top of your post.

Bear in mind that a simple pulley doesn’t do much to make the weight easier.
wet washing is quite heavy, especially on a thin line.
Look up compound pulleys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back