Washing Machine problem - repairable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a problem with the washing machine, and would appreciate some views on how repairable it will be, and if it is, whether it will be cost effective.

For those who are interested, it's a Whirlpool AWOD 6727, and it's about 2 years old.

In summary, the spin cycle has been getting increasingly loud over the last couple of months, which I assumed was down to it being on a slightly uneven floor. Unfrotunately at the weekend it stopped when it got to the spin cycle, with an error code relating to the motor / irregular spin (for any experts in Whirlpool fault codes it was F06).

I have reset it a few times, and it stops and shows th fault code every time it tries to spin.

I have opened it up today, and found that the problem seems to be with the concrete block on top of th drum - this was sitting at an angle, with one bolt nowehere to be seen, and another having pulled out the part of the plastic casing around the drum it was attached to.

I believe that this will have pushed the drum to the wrong position, causing the error with the spin, but even if i can correct this, is this likely to have done any further damage?

I will try to upload some pics to help explain what I mean shortly.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Ouch. New drum needed that's over £100.00. Not really cost effective.

Ouch. New drum needed that's over £100.00. Not really cost effective.

Really? Machine cost over £300 just over 2 years ago, so would presumable cost around that for similar. If I was confident that it would fix it, I'd probably repair it at £100.

Any ideas how difficult a job it is?

Sponsored Links
I would price a drum up first plus you will need a new heater. As for taking apart drum comes out the top , remove what's left of the top weight and the motor dispenser take photos of wiring , I would take apart first see how you go depending on your ability you got nothing to lose its a mess at the mo. and if you break anything at least you can scrap it at no cost to you.

Me being a scrooge would cover that hole with fibreglass or something compatable, use the other two bolt holes and glue them in, hopefully get a bit longer out of it.
Once had a 50p piece through the side of mine, and and it worked for me.
Where does the new heater come into it rocks? sorry for my ignorance.

I've had a look through the Whirlpool parts list, and it looks like i may just need a rear tub rather than the whole drum? If so, the prices vary quite wildly from £100 - £200, though I can't find the exact one, so have requested a price.

I will see what they come back with, and if th price is sensible will see what happens taking the old one out first.

I'm confused about needing a new heater though?

What is the service number? Look on the door sticker for a 12 digit code starting with 85.

Most drums don't come with a washer heater you can't use the old one cos the rubber swells up , also some split drums don't come with a seal. If yours is a split drum looks like you need front half only. As long as the silver inner drum is not damaged. Most drums are welded and complete some with heater some without best to check first with supplier.

Me being a scrooge would cover that hole with fibreglass or something compatable, use the other two bolt holes and glue them in, hopefully get a bit longer out of it.
Once had a 50p piece through the side of mine, and and it worked for me.
Where does the new heater come into it rocks? sorry for my ignorance.

Problem with that is the bolt that has worked it's way out has done so by wrecking the fixing, so coupled with the one that has wripped the hole in the tub, I'd be left with only one proper fixing?

If yours is a split drum looks like you need front half only. As long as the silver inner drum is not damaged. Most drums are welded and complete some with heater some without best to check first with supplier.

Back half surely, unless I'm being stupid?

As far as I can tell the inner drum isnt damaged, other than a light mark where the block has scraped it.

The front bolt is missing as well did you remove it or did it come loose is the front fixing ok.

The front bolt is missing as well did you remove it or did it come loose is the front fixing ok.

You mean on the block? The one that is out on the picture was missing when I opened it up - looking at the plastic underneath it must have worked itself out over time. I dont think the fixing hole is any good anymore, but need to get the block off properly to get a better look and see for sure.

This model has a welded drum & it costs this much http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=480111101563
Bodging the drum with fibreglass might plug the hole but 2 bolts & a bit of glue won't hold the counter-weight when it decides to go walkabout.
Do yourself a favour....scrap it & put the money towards a decent machine (not Whirlpool).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back