Washing Machine problem - repairable?

This model has a welded drum & it costs this much http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=480111101563
Bodging the drum with fibreglass might plug the hole but 2 bolts & a bit of glue won't hold the counter-weight when it decides to go walkabout.
Do yourself a favour....scrap it & put the money towards a decent machine (not Whirlpool).

Thanks - presumably by welded drum this means they tub, inner tub etc all come as one? Even so, can't get my head around how it can cost more than the machine itself though!

Oh well, looks like the game is up! Any recommendation for a new one that will last a bit longer? The next one will need to cope with some heavy use seeing as we have a baby on the way!

Thanks to all for the advice

Sponsored Links
Correct...you can't change bearings/rear tub on a welded wash unit.
In this order (according to budget).
Miele - ISE - Electrolux (includes AEG & Zanussi) - Bosch/Siemens.
If you buy a German machine make sure it is actually built in Germany, some are not.

Thanks - will start the hunt tomorrow!
I hope you don't mind me asking, but when you start looking do you mind giving the factors that will influence your purchase?

Reason is that I'm putting together a questionnaire for washing machine purchases and some of the things I'm trying to examine is; price, quality, branding, features, warranty and other things I haven't thought about!

Your thoughts will be interesting as your last machine cost £300 and lasted two years. Would you buy in that price range again?

If you could post your thoughts it would be appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks - will start the hunt tomorrow!
I hope you don't mind me asking, but when you start looking do you mind giving the factors that will influence your purchase?

Reason is that I'm putting together a questionnaire for washing machine purchases and some of the things I'm trying to examine is; price, quality, branding, features, warranty and other things I haven't thought about!

Your thoughts will be interesting as your last machine cost £300 and lasted two years. Would you buy in that price range again?

If you could post your thoughts it would be appreciated :D

Bit of a bump, but thought I'd come back to answer your question!

I've now bought a replacement, and have gone for the Candy EVO 1483, at a very similar price to the last one.

Ideally i would have gone for one of the premium brands suggested above, but as you would expect, the options / functionality were far more limited at my budget. As money is very tight at the moment (baby on the way), I couldn't invest in something likley to last much longer as I would have liked to.

That being the case, it was simply a matter of getting a good balance of functionality & quality for the budget. The key features that swung it for the Candy were an extra large drum size, along with a decent range of wash cycles. Having had a good experience with a Candy machine before, I was most comfortable with this over the comparable Zanussi / Beko models.

Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back