Wasps 'knew antibiotics years ago'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WOW!

A humble wasp learned how to use sophisticated antibiotics millions of years before the invention of penicillin, research has shown.

Digger wasps of the family Philanthus, also known as "beewolves", harness beneficial bacteria to manufacture a cocktail of drugs that protect its larvae from infection.

Scientists who made the discovery believe it could assist the development of new agents to combat human "superbugs".

The era of antibiotics began in 1928 when Alexander Fleming spotted how penicillin produced by green mold killed bacteria.

But long before, Philanthus wasps were coating their cocoons with antibiotics to fight off harmful microbes.

The insects not only evolved a method of manufacturing antibiotics, they used them in a highly effective way, said the scientists writing in the journal Nature Chemical Biology.

Just as human experts have learned to do, the wasps combine different drugs that work together to destroy many different organisms.

The German researchers found that beewolves teamed up with a type of bacteria called Streptomyces in a symbiotic relationship that benefited both species.

In exchange for having a home, the bugs produced a cocktail of nine different antibiotics effective against a broad range of harmful bacteria and fungi.

Invading fungal mold and harmful bacteria are major threats to the wasp larvae. Conditions in the warm and humid wasps' nests, which contain large amounts of organic material in the form of prey food, make them breeding grounds for infection.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100228/thl-wasp-knew-antibiotics-years-ago-d831572.html

Sponsored Links
How do these relationships come about? Are the microbes and wasps that advanced that they do deals and agreements with each other? :confused:

That's evolution for you. Don't know about you, but what I struggle to get my head round when looking at Darwinism is accepting the fact that the species involved didn't suddenly wake up one day with the necessary change to their makeup which allowed them to survive.

Sponsored Links
That's evolution for you. Don't know about you, but what I struggle to get my head round when looking at Darwinism is accepting the fact that the species involved didn't suddenly wake up one day with the necessary change to their makeup which allowed them to survive.
Here, is a link for you Dex. :rolleyes: this has some very interlectual answers for this stupid theory, if you would care to make time ( precious as it is lol) to have a look and give your answer to us ,I would also personally appreciate it.
http://harunyahya.com/en.m_categorie_76.php

trouble was that humble wasp got trod on otherwise they'd be ruling the planet by now.

the wasps did not discover or invent antibiotics. That would have required thought and ingenuity, they have neither.

the wasps did not discover or invent antibiotics. That would have required thought and ingenuity, they have neither.
I'm not sure I follow your train of thought John. Neither the report or anyone here has said wasps 'discovered and/or invented' antibiotics. The report states that they 'learned how to use sophisticated antibiotics'. The report goes on to say that wasps: 'harness beneficial bacteria to manufacture a cocktail of drugs that protect its larvae from infection.' Now I'm just a general Joe Public but it impressed scientists enough to 'write in the journal Nature Chemical Biology.' Perhaps the scientists are just easily pleased!

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought John. Neither the report or anyone here has said wasps 'discovered and/or invented' antibiotics. The report states that they 'learned how to use sophisticated antibiotics'.

That is natural selection they didn't learn they just went with what was available and by a happy coincidence for them the local forna probably supplied the rest. Note that it is only one species so probably more to do with their habitat.
Ever wondered what the first person to milk a cow thought they were doing. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back