Waste coming back into toilet bowl

bdw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for the last few days waste seems to be back feeding into my downstairs toilet bowl. It cleans and flushes quickly with no apparent problem but after a while some waste appears in the bowl again. Is this coming from the drain in the street? I was thinking a blockage outside but when flushed the bowl empties as normal.

Sponsored Links
Blockage in the U bend, throw a couple of buckets of water down the pan or remove the pan if a rim fresh has recently gone AWOL

• Thanks
Reactions: bdw
Thank you but to me it doesn't look like a blockage. As I say the flush appears quick and normal, no backing up as the pan empties.

Sponsored Links
Thank you but to me it doesn't look like a blockage. As I say the flush appears quick and normal, no backing up as the pan empties.
If a customer said that face to face I`d turn around and walk away.

Really? If that was the case and I was a customer I would give you a wave and think I had a lucky escape.

Really? If that was the case and I was a customer I would give you a wave and think I had a lucky escape.
So you want a Yes man and are unwilling to simply throw two buckets of waterdown the pan as a simple and quick test.

The old saying used to be....

4 inch drain but a 6 inch ar5ehole.

Don't know if that's helpful but you could add it to a list of possibles?

Have you checked your manholes? Sounds like the external drain is blocked to me.

Thanks to those who offered possible solutions without feeling the need to be rude.

Thanks to those who offered possible solutions without feeling the need to be rude.

I am not a plumber, but over the years, I have worked in a lot of houses.

I have experienced the same symptoms.

In each case it was caused by a partial blockage.

@HERTS P&D and @just pumps strike me as being knowledgeable contributors. I have been a forum member for quite a while, I recognise sage members.

With respect, when you ask a question, take the advice offered- sure, don't blindly accept it, but, at minimum, take it on board, and if required, research further.

Some of the later responses were rude, but I suspect that they were reactionary. You received advice from processional plumbers that gave up their free time to try to help you. This site would not exist were it not for the pros that offer advice.

I respectfully suggest that you ask one of them for further advice. At some point it seems likely that you are going to have to pay for a plumber to rectify things. Wouldn't you rather know what to ask the £50-90 ph plumber what he needs to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back