Waste water fittings on baths, screw in centre type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have been 2 separate occasions when I have had water coming in through my light fitting in my bathroom from the neighbour above, and the reason apparently was because the centre screw in their drain had loosened.

Apparently this type of fitting with the centre screw is not the preferred option when fitting a bath, and perhaps this would be the reason why.

Is there anything that can be done to stop the centre screw from loosening again as I am not convinced that just tightening the screw will do the job in the long term.

The bath I believe was fitted securely underneath, but I am led to believe that if there is movement below then this is what leads to leakage due to the screw loosening.

Is this a common issue with these type of bath drain fittings?

Sponsored Links
When I install waste fittings I use silicon sealant in both parts of the waste

I'm not aware of one leaking yet

I'm also not aware of the screw coming loose being an issue

When I install waste fittings I use silicon sealant in both parts of the waste

I'm not aware of one leaking yet

I'm also not aware of the screw coming loose being an issue

Well this is what he said it was, and he ran their bath and emptied it with me standing there, and no water was leaking.

If you look at this link it shows that when the screw tightens it compresses the washers, so surely this would stop potential leaks, no?

http://www.diydata.com/plumbing/bath_waste/bath_wastes.php

Are you sure it's not his overflow leaking (quite common) or the silicone around the bath edge when someone had a shower.

Or he could have a shower curtain that leaks around the edge.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not his overflow leaking (quite common) or the silicone around the bath edge when someone had a shower.

Or he could have a shower curtain that leaks around the edge.

Andy

It was when someone was having a bath that the water escaped, in fact, I'm not even sure if anyone had got into the bath.

Re the overflow, you'd think the plumber would have checked this. I haven't heard from the occupier so I don't know how full they had the bath at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back