Wateproof laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed recently laminate flooring in my lounge and open plan kitchen by Quickstep laminate. The problem is that I have to wipe any traces of water immediately from the floor because even small amounts of water that go between the joints cause the laminate floor to swell.

I'm now have a buy to let property to do. Just for the sake of peace of mind would you recommend waterproof laminate flooring such as the one made my aquastep with a PVC core instead of HDF or can I use ordinary laminate with MDF backing and seal the joints with PVA in order to waterproof the floor ?

Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
I have used the Tile effect Laminate flooring that B & Q sell with excellent result. I have my own rental properties and fit them with the slate style laminate in the bathrooms and kitchens and even have it at home and water has no effect on it. It is specifically suited to this purpose and is very good. If I remember it is about 22 quid a pack but well worth it. The planks are quite wide too so can be fitted quicker too.

Yes that is the one. I personally go with the Black Florentine as it gives a sort of slate effect and lay it in a brick bond pattern. It fits together extremely well, you can barely see the joints and mine is often mistaken for tiles.

Sponsored Links
I've noticed this is a v-groove between the joints...so I presume you can sensibly mop this floor or come in from a rainy day with wet shoes and the floor will tolerate the moisture...

I'll give it a try for a kitchen....

Yes , i have even had leaks in the tenanted properties with this in with no bad effects. It is rated for bathrooms and deemed as splashproof but it stands up really well . The planks are one 'tile' wide and if you zoom right in on the B & Q picture you can see a very faint line, that is how the joints look. Very hard to tell and a great look when laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back