Water and heating pipes in screed (layout & protection)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am an ex-plumber and heating engineer. When I left the trade 25 years ago underfloor heating, unvented systems and plastic pipe were just coming in...

I am renovating my house and laying pipework in each room myself as I complete it with a view to getting a professional installer to come to fit and commission the manifold, pressurised hot water, boiler et al when the time is right (assuming I can get one to come out... not had a lot of luck so far).

The time has come to lay the (75mm) screed in one of the rooms. This particular room has a concrete floor laid over celotex (not my preferred design but this is a done deal).

My questions concern the laying of the pipework for the underfloor heating and hot and cold.

1) Is it usual (expected?) to lay the hot and cold around the very edges of the room (bearing in mind the underfloor heating pipe is looped and kept 100mm away from the walls?)?

2) I'll lay the hot and cold in plastic pipe (with no joints). Do I need to protect the pipe? If so how? (Denso tape? Ducting, if so what sort?). We are laying tiles over the screed.

3) How best is it to fit the underfloor pipe to the floor (bearing in mind it'll be laid over concrete)?

Thanks for any help with this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back