Water flow/pressure mystery, homeboost pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please?! Do I need to add a Salamander homeboost pump to my water system? The house is 4 storeys high and I have a 2nd combi boiler (Ideal Independent C30) on the top floor running an extra sink and shower room, flow has always been pretty bad but usable - but suddenly the shower has (after 8 years) stopped producing hot water - though the bathroom sink right beside it works fine. I have had the heat exchange plate replaced and a Magnaclean system installed, but no improvement. I've been told that Thames water recently reduced pressure to my area as a whole, but they deny this.
They checked my water and tell me I have 30 litres/minute and 2.25 bar pressure at the meter immediately outside my front door - but only 10 litres/min and 1.5 bar at the first tap inside the house, 5 metres on.
Meanwhile, I had the shower cubicle replaced 6 months ago because it was leaking - can't see how this can be the problem as it worked fine to start with? (Began by thinking it was the thermostat in the shower tap that had gone, got that replaced, no difference..... then had it changed to a no-thermostat tap just in case - even worse. Seems flow to the shower is not enough to stimulate the boiler to DHW, though I can get it going (unreliably!) by starting the sink tap first.
I am now utterly confused. I've already spent around £500 on NOT solving the problem! Please can anybody on here tell me where should I concentrate? On the ground floor pipework? On the plumbing to the top floor shower cubicle? Get a pump added to the system?
(Top floor flow is only 5 litres a minute - but Salamander say their pump will only improve overall house performance from 10 litres/minute to 12, but this may be too little to change anything?)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be looking at pipework if plastic could be kinked.
Has anyone cleaned the filter and DHW flow regulator in the boiler.
Bit of a pig to remove so possible no ones checked it for you or don,t even know its there.

I'd be looking at any non-return valves / filters in the shower hot feed. Could be lime-scaled / or jammed with grit / debris.

If you have over 2 bar and 30 lpm outside and 1.5 bar with 10 lpm inside either the main stopcock is defective or you have a crushed pipe between the two points where the pressure/flow was measured.

Sponsored Links
30 litres per minute open pipe and static pressure of 2.25 bar are pretty meaningless.

Its the dynamic flow/pressure that matters.

But the Water Co guy is not going to tell you ( even if he did understand it ) as all he wants is to make you satisfied and move on.

Hi Agile - thanks for your reply! Alas, I understand even less than the Thames Water guy - could you explain more? Why is it meaningless? Should I not worry about the differences in flow/pressure then, and just concentrate on the boiler and the shower's pipework?

Very big thanks to Geronimoe - it was the DHW regulator, plastic valve inside it had completely disintegrated!

But that would have affected the basin as well.

You said the basin was fine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back