Water Pressure and Flow Rate for Ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of planning an ensuite bathroom in our house (still!).
We have a combi boiler rated at 38kw. The boiler is sited in our cellar.
There are 3 floors in the house with a kitchen on the ground floor, with taps which are sited directly above the combi in the cellar. On the first floor there is a bathroom with bath, sink and shower mixer on the bath.
This bathroom is directly above the kitchen.

The ensuite is to be installed on the second floor, in a room that is above the bathroom on the first floor. There is currently a cold water supply to this room and drainage for toilet and sink.

Can anyone give me an idea if they think that I will be able to get hot water, at sufficient pressure and flow, to supply a thermostatic mixer shower with a shower head of about 5 inches in the ensuite?

I bought a water pressure meter today and measured the pressure from the garden tap. The reading was 5 bar which I believe is pretty high.

The flow rate from the hot tap in the kitchen is about 14 litres per minute.

Could anyone let me know whereabouts on the hot water supply the new pipes for the ensuite should be connected. Is a junction formed in the hot supply to the bathroom below. If so, what sort of connectors are used?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
With that pressure you'll be fine. As for the size of shower head, if it works OK in the main bathroom then the flow rate will be fine upstairs too. Tee into the hot pipe anywhere convenient, using 15mm pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back