New ensuite. Can I use Combi for hot & cold from loft ta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I want to have a second bathroom installed (Sink, shower and toilet) for the occasional guest. I intend to use the Combi to supply the hot water to the new ensuite.

The shower in the current bathroom is electric so I plan to have a mixer in the new ensuite.

The problem I have is the mains pressure is not great. It could be used to supply the cold to the new sink, taps and shower but it is already supplying the kitchen and current bathroom.

I have a redundant cold tank in the loft which is currently directly a metre above the proposed shower head and one and a half metres from the sink and toilet. From what I understand the pressure would be low, but would it be enough to fill the toilet, allow someone to brush their teeth and supply the cold to the shower via a thermostatic mixer?

I can raise the tank if necessary. If this is the case then how much......or should I just stick to mains and hope people don't use both bathrooms at the same time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to supply both H & C on a shower from the same pressure source, e.g. mains or loft cistern.

I hope your combi will not be expected to supply any other outlets!

Tony

Is that the definitive answer,

Will the pressure imbalance be too much.

Is the tank a definate no?

Sponsored Links
Is that the definitive answer,
Yep.

You also don't want a tank of water which will hardly ever be used so it goes stagnant, ready for someone to clean their teeth ....
vomit-smiley-011.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back