Low water pressure in ensuite hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had an ensuite put in, in the loft. The cold water tank has been moved from the middle floor to the loft and is about 3 foot higher than the ensuite hot water tap. The cistern is still on the middle floor (directly underneath the new ensuite) and the hot water pressure for the rest of the house is absolutely fine. However, the hot water tap pressure in the ensuite is abysmal (it trickles out). I've contacted the company I bought the mixer tap from (it stated it was suitable for low water pressure systems) and they've said as the hot water has to go down to the cylinder and then back up again, there isn't enough pressure and I'll have to install a pump at a cost of £90, or just put up with it. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
don't matter where the hot water cylinder is only where the cold water storage is.
yours is only 3 ft that'll only give you 0.1 bar on the hot tap.

The cold water tank used to be about 3 foot above the taps in the bathroom until it was moved up to the loft. There was never a problem with the hot water pressure in the bathroom (and still isn't), so the difference is the same, if you see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
I have to admit that I don't know as the plumber chucked the instructions after fitting it. He did say, however, that where the cold water tank was now fitted SHOULD be enough pressure for a low pressure tap. He told me to contact the company I'd bought the tap from to see about something that could be fitted into the tap(?) but the tap company said there wasn't anything, hence the "buy a pump" quote. The tap company had said they'd send a replacement tap to try, in case there was something wrong with it, then rang me back to say I had to ring their supplier first for a chat. He was the one who'd said it was too far to go down to the hot water cylinder, then back up again. Sounds like a cop-out to me, but then I'm no plumber!

they maybe low pressure but not as low as you need probably recommended pressure of 0.5 bar.

Do you think it's anything to do with it being a mixer tap, as the old taps we have in the downstairs bathroom are separate for the bath and basin. If we do put in a pump, do you know how it works? By the way, I have to get the kids from school now, so if I don't reply, you'll know why! I'd like to continue this conversation though, as you are really helping me :)

A bit generic I'm afraid. It's the S9 single lever basin mixer bought from a company called Better Bathrooms (betterbathrooms.com). Only cost £50. My plumber took the bottom off the spout, which has made the water flow a bit better (there was a bit of gauze inside), but it's still annoying. If my hubby wants to have a shave, it takes a good few minutes to fill the sink, so he's shaving downstairs in the bathroom. Makes an ensuite a bit pointless! I don't know whether there IS a problem with the tap itself, or whether we're just going to have to lump it and sack the plumber - he said it would be fine, but is curiously difficult to get hold of at the moment...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back