Water Hammer - Driving Me Nuts!! - Please Advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unless I turn the tap I am using off (H or C) very slowly, I get a bang from the pipes. If I turn a cold tap on I get a constant banging like a machine gun.
Am I right in thinking that this is water hammer, caused by a loose jumper in the stop tap?
How can I solve it, preferably without removing the stop tap (with built in drain tap)?
Is there something I can do to the jumper to stop it moving, or can I just buy a new head for the stop tap, or fit a new jumper?
Please help.

Sponsored Links
More info on the hot, where it comes from etc.

The cold you could fit a shock arrester or clip the pipes

clip the pipes as that should be done anyway and fit a new stop cock, should be easy enough and cost less than a tenner

Sponsored Links
i had the same prob...but it was caused by the w.c cistern....fitting of a torvec valve which has a screw device which restricts the flow of water to the cistern,thus competely stopping water hammer :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back