Water hammer when boiler comes on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

I'm getting a large bang when the boiler comes on, I have a 25mm mains that runs to a stopcock then about 4m of 15mm piping to the boiler.

When my heating comes or using the hot water tap I get a water hammer bang? recently it's become super loud and it's starting to concern me, it sounds like it's under the floor.

Would a water arrester help, or is there a problem with the installation that needs sorting? It's a brand new 2021, viessman 100kw.

cheers any hell would be great.

all the best,

matt.

Sponsored Links
A E.vessel is advisable and required by some boiler makers now, especially where DHW preheat is an option as the expnded water cannot expand back through the mains if a water meter or a PRV is installed, yours seems a different problem but installing a shock arrestor cannot but help IMO.

A E.vessel is advisable and required by some boiler makers now, especially where DHW preheat is an option as the expnded water cannot expand back through the mains if a water meter or a PRV is installed, yours seems a different problem but installing a shock arrestor cannot but help IMO.
Cheers, I did notice this online that boiler manufacturers seem to be recommending them when researching the issue.

It's only become a recent consistent problem. I'll email the boiler installer see if they can help.

Luckily the floor is all old and has already been cut to lift up.

Cheers.

If the knock is when the heating comes on too then it's may not be anything to do with the mains water as they are separate systems, it could be a loose pipe knocking when the pump kicks in.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar issue but the knocking only happens occasionally and only when the boiler pump turns off. I have spent many hours trying to stop it but have given up.

Luckily I had it installed with heatable so an engineer is comming to check it out. It's just been so loud recently just terrifying lol

Morning, this is fixed now it needed a new diverter I think. Was a 10 min job under warranty.

The part has a small plastic actuator that goes up and down. It looks like that was misbehaving when firing up. That's 2 parts in 2 years it's not boding well for the viessman 2021 30kw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back