Water Hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have problem with my neighbour. For the last 3 years. I have had banging in my property every time, my neighbour turns on the water. The banging started off quietly, but it has been getting worse over the three year period. She can't hear the banging her side, so isn't so eager to resolve the problem.

To give you some background, we are a detached masonette. She is downstairs and I am upstairs. Whenever she flushes the loo, puts the washing machine on, puts the shower on, it's a loud bang in my bathroom. This goes on all day long, and whenever she uses the water. She has come over and listened to the banging in my bathroom, so she knows how irratating it is for me, but I can't seem to get her to do anything!

She replaced her stopcock which was fixed on high with a new one (that has made no difference) She was advised by British Gas that she couldn't turn her water pressure down as it may damage her old boiler, so she said there was nothing she could do. Then, I found in December, she had had a new boiler fitted in June, (but didn't tell me this) so I have no idea, if she has turned it down. I have explained to her about water hammer, but just acts like I am talking in Japanese when I mention this to her. I have told her to just turn down her water pressure and drain her system, but again it seems as if I may as well be talking to the wall.

I have turned my system off and drained it and reduced the press off my stop cock but it is definitely not coming from my property.

Please can someone help!!!

Sponsored Links
The reason for the banging is that there is a loose pipe within your wall in the bathroom which is obviously the rising main, when a valve on that pipe shuts then it's sending a vibration up the pipe and that's the hammer you can hear.

Therein lies the rub ..... Who's responsible for that pipe. Are you sure there is nothing in your bathroom that uses it? It may actually be a rising main up to a cistern in the loft? If you shut off your mains do all the outlets/toilet/bath etc stop? The issue you have though is that albeit it is caused by a valve in her property the loose pipe is obviously located within your property. It may be difficult to argue that she needs to share a cost that only effects you.

You could add that as it is water hammer there is a risk that the pipe could burst at some point and as we all know water travels downhill, so who's more at risk of flooding?? Firstly though you need to get someone in, open up the wall where the banging is coming from and understand what pipe is causing it and then have a word with her and have it secured and worry about who's responsible after that.

If you're leasehold, I'd be speaking to the Building Management people, if the water supply is shared it might come under their remit.

Hi
Thanks for that. I can hear the noise directly below the bathroom taps, it is as if the taps are making the noise (if you see what I mean).
When I turn off my water, I don't hear any noises at all.
There's no cold water pipe in the loft. It's a combi boiler. Does any of that make a difference, but clearly the side of the bath needs to come off to see if there's something lose underneath the bath?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
We both share the freehold so we have joint responsibility.

We both share the freehold so we have joint responsibility.

Ok then, we'll see what we can do to help. Is it a single 'bang' or a series of noises? As Rob has already suggested, it's most likely a loose pipe that 'kicks' when a sudden shock goes through the system, washing machines are notorious for this as the fill valves snap shut.

Water hammer is a different sound, made by the washer in a stoptap or ball valve vibrating like a reed in a wind instrument as the valve slowly closes off, the water and pipework echo this sound and can sound like something howling through the building.

Fitting a water-hammer arrestor might cure the problem?

Fitting a water-hammer arrestor might cure the problem?

Whilst these can certainly fix some hammer issues, especially where high pressure mains and WM/DW are concerned. I must admit though I have real problems with these devices. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and all they do is mask a problem which is basically bad pipe run design that really should be fixed.

It is both. I have stayed in the bathroom when the bang happens.
Shower - bang on (when water turned on) and then a bang (when water goes off)
Toilet - seems to be one bang.
Washing Machine - seems to be a series of bangs/clunks on and off.
All of these bangs can be heard in my bathroom where my bath taps are. It almost as if the taps are alive (if that makes sense)
I have lived in the property ten years, and it never did it before. It has only been the last 3 years. I have noticed it depends on the person who is using the appliance, so must be whether they quick turning the water off (hope that makes sense)
To be honest, I just want the banging to end.
Thanks for your help.

Understandable Sara, it would do my nut in too. Easiest course then is to get under there, see where the pipes are loose and what they are banging against and tackle it at that point I would suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back