Water / Heating / Plumbing advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice with how best to resolve my water pressure within my property.

4 bed property with kitchen, 1 bathroom and a electric shower/wet room downstairs. Standard water tank, cylinder & boiler setup with 15mm pipes running through property.

I want to add a shower to the upstairs bathroom which does not have one.

I called the water company out and they took a look at my pressure & flow, they said my pressure was good over 2 bar but flow rate is poor. Seems to be a blockage somewhere better off putting in a new water main rather than pull up all floorboards etc looking for blockage. So I installed a new water main with 25mm poly connected to existing 15mm pipes in kitchen.

We get good cold water flow & pressure now but hot water is still poor. They said it was down to 15mm pipes going through property all the way to the water tank in loft. Pity they didn't tell me hot water wouldn't be resolved before starting the work. Electric shower in wetroom using cold pipe only has got slightly better but not dramatically I thought it would be gushing ... maybe because again at the end of 15mm pipe.

So any recommendations would be much appreciated. I think below are the options I have, which one would be best ? would they all work ? is there a better one ?

1. Add a Stuart Turner 3 bar pump next to cylinder to pump whole property ? not overly keen on this as I have been told very noisy and will go off everytime even in middle of night if someone gets up for loo.

2. Add a electric power shower downstairs and normal power shower upstairs, I believe these come with a pump buit in. However this won't resolve poor hot water in kitchen ... can you add a pump below the kitchen sink also ? Can you just swap a normal electric shower with a electric power shower simply or is there more involved ?

3. Replace the cylinder with a megaflo cylinder and then add normal shower upstairs, will this work ok off 15mm pipes or would they need replacing also ? as this is pressurised would this resolve all ?

4. stage option 2 adding power showers and then add megaflo at later date ? can this be done or will it be overkill ?

We moved in last summer and had the whole property refurbed .... i know should have done this first ... so also worried about mess will create.

Anyway Thanks in Advance all advice greatly appreciated ... which way would you do it etc.

Sponsored Links
What's your head of water from cylinder to tank in loft? You'll never get good pressure on a gravity system.

The electric shower could be scaled up, again pressure will never be amazing as they slow the flow down to heat the water. You should notice a faster flow the slower you have your shower.

I'd recommend an unvented cylinder, will be advisable to run a new 22mm cold supply from your new main to it to get maximum pressure.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks Robo prob just over 1m, for the megaflo would i need to run 22mm everywhere from the cylinder as well ? or just main to cylinder and 15mm elsewhere is ok ?

Defiantly 22mm to the tank then it's personal preference. I'd do 22mm to bath and showers then 15 to basins and sinks.

Sponsored Links
Adding 1 power shower should be fine providing you have at least a 50 gallon water tank otherwise you wont get a very long shower. Also your waste has to be capable of keeping up with the flow rate. What about installing a higher KW electric shower that should give you a better shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back