Water Ingress Into Loft Space And Into Room Below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rainwater is entering the attic (bottom left of this roof hatch, just about where the slates end and the valley starts). Above the hatch and the rest of the roof the slates all look good, nothing looks wrong, so (I'm assuming), the water must be getting in along the left hand edge of the upstand of the hatch and behind the slates. But this roof has been like this for 50 years or more, why is this suddenly happening now?

Ordinarily shouldn't the lead sit on top of the slates?

What would be the best way to try and diagnose this fault. Most of the slates have been glued into place around the hatch so I can't just slide a few out and have a look, I'd have to smash them to get them out?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated before I get my hammer out.

Thank you in advance.

upload_2020-10-25_8-19-13.png

upload_2020-10-25_8-18-36.png

Sponsored Links
Side flashings are wrong side of front apron as is the last soaker. should be over not under

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry but I'm not sure exactly what you mean, are you saying the flashing down the side should sit on top of the slates?

The flashing type is fine with soakers under the slates.
Apron flashing may have slipped out in the past and been slipped back incorrectly.
It isnt well made but that aside the side flashing and last soaker should run onto it not under

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back