Water is hot from taps, but barely warm from the shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an "intermittent" problem with water coming out of my shower which is barely warm, whilst the water from the bathroom tap is very hot.

- Our water is heated using an immersion heater

- The immersion heater is connected to Economy 7 using a Horstmann timer which is functioning correctly

- Hot and cold water is fed through the system via dedicated hot and cold water pipes direct from the tanks connected to a Salamander pump. I notice that the pipe from the hot water tank is fitted about two thirds of the way up the tank.

- It is a bungalow with tanks in the loft, the shower is a Triton Dove mixer shower

The problem is not always apparent. In the morning when the water should be at its hottest, and with a manual 30 minute boost from the immersion heater before showering, the water runs hot to start with, but soon goes tepid. No other taps are being used at the same time as the shower. However, in the evening when the water will have cooled during the day, if the immersion heater boost is switched on for an hour, the water stays hot long enough for a good shower.

I had this problem about 18 months ago, and a Triton engineer called and said it was a valve problem and fitted a new valve in the temperature control side of the mixer bar. The shower is 4 years old, so is still under guarantee, but if the problem is a faulty valve again, it looks like a serious design flaw.

The puzzling aspect is the large discrepancy in the temperature of the water coming from the hot water tap in the bathroom compared to the shower when the water is coming from the same source.

Grateful for any suggestions as to what the cause and/or solution might be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, does the connection into the left hand side of the shower valve remain hot all the time or does it cool down?

James.

Hi,

I presume you mean the rotary control which actually switches on the shower and controls the flow.

If so, I must confess I don't know the answer to your question. I have never actually checked this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back