Water Leak Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advise?

I have just found out that I have had a leaking pipe under my concrete floor for about 4 years, apparently the original pipe was installed too short!

From what i have been told, the top damp proof sheet is doing its job so we have no damp on our walls or anything, but the leak, which was like a tap, has been leaking below the membrane and into the ground. On the outside of my house, there is a water mark about 4 inches above ground and travels the whole way round the house and about 6 floor tiles have cracked in a line for no reason.

Could all this water under the house cause a big problem with foundations? or any future potential problems.

I am waiting to see if they suggest doing nothing or digging up the whole concrete ground floor of the house.

I have no clue about these things, is this as bad as it sounds, and could there be any future issues if it isn't fixed properly, oh, and what should the correct action be?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
A long term leak may cause extensive damage, and the full extent may not be clear until the leak is repaired and the ground has dried out.

If this is the service pipe for your water supply, it may be less disruptive to lay a new pipe using a different route, and disconnect and abandon the old pipe rather than try to excavate and repair the leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back