Water leaking in to Garage from garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help. I recently moved into a new house and have been resolving all the problems (typically water related) and have one final job left, the garage. Water seems to be leaking through the bottom bricks on the side of the garage. I suspect the garden landscaping was not done correctly and have attached a few photos to help give an idea of the layout. Not sure whether to call a builder or a landscaper or even if I can sort this myself. The flashing seems to be fine but it is leaking through the very bottom bricks and finds its way to the middle of the garage and pools. Below the stones is a plastic material and there were wooden decorative borders along the side of the garage which I have now removed leaving the below. What to do??

Sponsored Links
this is very common and probably due to the way your garage is constructed. It may be built off a raft rather than traditional strip footings which makes it easy to build but very hard to waterproof unless you plan it well from the start.

Firstly you need to confirm it is a raft so you need to dig a hole outside down a few bricks and check whats there.

You would find the walls are simply built off the floor slab so you will only have 2 courses of brick then concrete if there are 4/5 courses of brick or blocks then its a normal strip.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've dug up a portion of the garden to see what's under the problem areas. r896neo - I'd be interested in your thoughts now I've established below the two bricks it is indeed concrete. I've updated a photo below to show the direction of the water when it becomes waterlogged. Halfway along the garage the water flows different ways. At the front it flows down and out past the concrete post holding the fence (the garage is built up on a slope and so this water travels down into the main drain of the house. The other half travels back and sits in the orange circle area.

It appears to be concrete along the garage until you reach the final lump of concrete in the red circle. Behind that (in the orange) it is clay. I was thinking about installing a french drain but not expecting to hit concrete I have no access to the tools needed to cut/break this up.

I've dug down in the clay really to take the water away from the garage and to stop it seeping in but obviously this is not a long term solution.

Just trying to work out whats the cheapest option here, thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back