Water loss in CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I run an Ideal Turbo 2 boiler with a sealed sytem Megaflow tank. The CH has a pressurisation vessel which normally runs at about 1.5bar.

Recently we thought the heating was not up to scratch so I checked all the radiators with the system off, bled some air and then topped the cylinder back up circa 1.2/1.3 bar. After a few days the pressure in the CH vessel had almost disappeared and the pump/boiler was making some horrible noises. I repeated the above checking all bleed valves were not leaking and also repressurised the Megaflow, as shown previously by the installer.
Everything seemed to be working fine for a few days, however we are now continually losing pressure on the CH and have to keep topping it up, several times a day . I have also noticed that there is quite a lot of water coming from the condensate drain which I don't think I have seen before, well not in this volume.

There are no visible leaks anywhere around the house/ceilings,etc. Any ideas? Could it be a failure in the heat exchanger in the boiler?

The boiler has also been refusing to fire up recently when it has been very cold or at peak time. The fan runs but no ignition. Wales Gas are putting a new main in the road and we have felt the pressure at the house may be affected. Tests show however that we have the required 20 - 22mb at the meter. Don't know if this is connected. Boiler installed 1992 is regularly serviced and system has been flushed with Fernox products in last two years.

Sponsored Links
croydoncorgi said:
Ideal Turbo 2

a what??
not known at this address! :(

Made by Ideal Stelrad it is a lightweight, wall hung, 24kw Gas condensing boiler running 85% efficiency, so a bit old technology but been ok until now. You are obviously a young chap!

Sponsored Links
Well we know what the problem is now! The heat exchanger gave up the ghost last night and shed its contents on the floor, successfully tripping the electrical protection. Sitting in the cold waiting for an engineer now. CH system is isolated, so we do have 'electric' HW. Any suggestions on the best condensing non combi boiler these days?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back