Water Pipes Loud Banging when Washing Machine DRAWS water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on if theres anything I can do to fix the problem I have. I'd rather avoid bringing in an expensive plumber if I can.

Our washing machine causes very loud bangs in pipes when it fills with water. It draws water quite a few times in the cycle so theres a fair few clunks in the pipes each time we use it.

I've read quite a few posts about water hammer when faucets stop drawing water and the hammer arresters resolution that help solve the problem. However I can't find much advice about when the pipe banging occurs when the machine starts to fill up (i.e. Not when it has finished filling up!).

I didn't want to go down the route of fitting a water hammer arrester if that isn't the right thing to fix the issue.

Of note, when I have the kitchen tap (above the washing machine on same feed in pipe), even just a bit, there is no banging noise at all when the washing machine fills. If the tap is turned off the banging returns as the washing machine continues to draw its water in its short bursts and throughout the washing machine cycle.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards.

Sponsored Links
The banging is caused by the solenoid shutting quickly, fit a mini rested on the inlet to your washing machine tool station stock them catalogue number 64117.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back