Pipes banging when washing machine fills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

When the washing machine starts and stops taking cold water, the pipes under the bathroom floor bangs -- only one bang when the machine starts taking in water, then another bang when the machine stops taking in water, followed by a oscilating sound, like the pipe is wiggling up and down for a second.

From what i can tell, the pipes in the bathroom (under a 3/4in ply floor) are not clipped down properly, and this cannot be changed because i cannot take the floor up, or the ceiling down (to get under the floor from downstairs) the misses would KILL me!

The washing machine is connected to the cold water downstairs about 3m from the main stop tap.

The bathroom cold feed is about 11m pipe length from the stop tap, upstairs.

Why does it bang?

How can i stop it?

Its very loud, if i start the washing machine (on a delay timer etc) to be done when i get up, it starts filling at about 5am, and its loud enough to wake the baby.

Wouldn't be so bad if it was only 2 bangs, but the machine takes some water, stops and rotates, takes more, stops and rotates, etc for about 10 minutes!!

The banging is getting louder as the months go by, and im worried that the pipe movement will result in a weak, eventually.

Sponsored Links
Why does it bang?From what i can tell, the pipes in the bathroom (under a 3/4in ply floor) are not clipped down properly, and this cannot be changed

How can i stop it?From what i can tell, the pipes in the bathroom (under a 3/4in ply floor) are not clipped down properly, and this cannot be changed

But why does it bang? the water in the upstairs pipe shouldn't even be moving, its 11m away.
The water to the machine would, like electric, take the shortest path of least resistance, so 3m from supply cock, not 11m from a closed tap?

<confused>

I really cant take the floor up.

The solenoid driven water valves in a washing machine operate a lot faster than you can turn a tap. As they snap open or closed they send a shock wave through all your plumbing. In some circumstances it can even travel back up the water main and affect the plumbing in neighbouring houses.

Sponsored Links
Pressure reducing valve on the incoming main just above the stopcock :idea:

Hi guys. Thanks for the responces. I can turn the stop cock down to reduce the pressure, but then the toilets take ages to fill up (i think thats a seperate problem).

Would a check valve or a double check valve (whats the difference when using them?) in line with the upstairs pipe be of any use?

Been looking at pressure reducing valves. Whats a good bar value to use for the washing machine? Might fit one to the incommer of the house as the gas man said the boiler cant heat the water fast enough because the pressure was too high last time he was here (we only get warm water unless you turn the tap down)

2bar? 3bar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back