Banging/Clunking Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the best remedy for banging pipes is? Every time the water is turned on or off abruptly the result is a loud banging noise, from around the water meter area. I'm currently in the process of renovating the property so no washing machine or dishwasher installed yet..but will undoubtedly bang like hell when they are. I was thinking of installing a mini rester (small expansion vessel), is this the correct thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Yep

If your pressure is really high you might benefit from a pressure reducing valve as well

There is very good pressure......it bangs even when the toilet valve closes so is quite frustrating. Is there any particular type of rester or will the £10 one suffice ....screwfix/toolstation type?

How about the position of the rester? Is there a hard and fast rule?

I would get a mini expansion vessel , they sell them in plumbcenter or try euro boiler spares on line, I think they list it as a water hammer arrestor.

Install it just after the stop cock

Sponsored Links
This is where I'd like to install it, unfortunately the kitchen has now been fitted which gives no access to the stopcock other than to turn on and off.....would this still work if I installed it say just before the boiler c/w feed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back