Water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have some issues with water pressure which I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on. I have a gravity fed water system

1. Hot water pressure is very low in kitchen and both bathrooms upstairs however is fine in the downstairs toilet.
2. We have recently had a bathroom refit and both the hot and cold water pressure in the bath and basin are extremely low - could this be due to bad plumbing? It never used to be this bad

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have only had one bathroom refitted and the old bathroom is lower in pressure than before then either they have fitted extra valves somewhere or they have not bled the system of air properly.

Could the downstairs wc be on mains therefore that is why it is not effected.

What nawty plumbers Technotim!

Unlikely the cloakroom hot is on the mains :rolleyes:

Much more likely the new bathroom taps are designed for mains pressure ;)

when you say pressure, do you mean flow?

Like Razor900, I think you have probably got flashy new taps of Italian design which have small waterways (designed for high pressure) which do not let much water flow through them.

Have a look at the underside of the taps and see what size pipes go into them.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely the cloakroom hot is on the mains :roll
did not read that one right :rolleyes:

1. Hot water pressure is very low in kitchen and both bathrooms upstairs however is fine in the downstairs toilet.
So whats he doing with hot water plumbed to his toilet :LOL:

The reason I think it might be air is that he say's he had a bathroom refitted and he has two as quoted "both bathrooms", In a cloakroom basin the flow rate is a lot lower for function so there could be enough head of water in the pipes to satisfy the required flow.

I vote airlock

Does your kitchen have seperate taps? If it does, unscrew the spray patterns and connect the two with a hosepipe. Switch both on and leave for a couple of minutes. Should improve the kitchen at least, you might have to repeat with the other taps

Hello All,
OK here is some more information.

When I say downstairs toilet I did mean cloakroom - sorry

OK both of the upstairs taps are Xwater and the pipes connecting are very small. I was assured by the plumbing merchant that these taps are suitable - I am now wondering if this is really the problem.

In the main bathroom we have a xwater bath filler (with no reduced pipes) and the flow here is also very very poor - it never used to be like this. Could it be that there is something blocked in the pipwork when he was doing the plumbing (apologies for this ignorant comment!)

Most of xwaters taps are designed for 0.2bar pressure (2meters distance between the bottom of the cold water storage tank and the tap spout)
but if you had the old style washer type valves in the taps and seperate hot and cold handles they they will not give you the same performance.

Nowadays an acceptable flow from a basin tap on hot or cold flow is 6 litres per min.

Can you tell me which range and which items and I will see if I have the flow chart (I would need the Pressure you have) and we can double check to see if they are performing as designed to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back